October 10, 2010

Food Bloggers' Picnic

Went to the food bloggers' mad hatter-themed picnic today!! Yes, that is my hat. Photo thanks to Billy, from A Table for Two, who also organized the whole event (*edit*) with Karen from Citrus and Candy(*end of edit. I can't believe I missed her out. I'm so sorry Karen!!"). I won craziest hat!! If you want to make it, here's the youtube tutorial. So happy. I won a Beef and Beer Masterclass for two at Mumu grill! hehe. =) There were heaps of prizes, including a Kitchen Aid for best dish! Naturally, just about everyone had an entry.

So yes. Bloggers started arriving, carry all sorts of goodies!! 

 
Group shot! And how's this for coincidence? Third from the left is my primary school classmate!! How cool is that? She's the blogger behind Nommynomnom. And in the far right is Anna from Diary of a Ladybird.

And there was a Pinata!


And there were hats galore!! Phuoc from Phuoc'n Delicious had a candy hat!! And we picked the candy off it after the picnic.


And the lovely Anita from noredmeat!


Rosalind from Rasarosa made this lovely hat and some really good kueh!! Hats off for her patience - Kaya is notoriously hard to make.


And my entry for the food competition was Tea-ramisu served in chocolate teacups!


I made the teacups by following this youtube tutorial, with a twist. I piped chocolate handles then 'welded' them on after. For the filling, I soaked sponge fingers in black rose and french vanilla tea (instead of coffee) and made the filling with home-made mascarpone! (That I learnt from a cheese making class that I attended, post to come soon.)


And the food, glorious food!!! When you go to a food bloggers' picnic, you know that you'd be well fed.


Anna made this lovely chocolate cake with salted caramel (yum!!) and it had a beautiful picnic scene that is made out of fondant! She won the best sweet dish. =)


Sook Ching made these oh-so-cute Cookie Monster cupcakes!! I forgot to mention that one of the categories is best 'blue' dish, and this was pretty blue!


Gianna from The Empty Fridge won runner up for craziest hat, and she brought a blue Sangria (which matches her hat lol). Her lamb pies were SO AWESOME though. Lamb mince encased in puff pastry with olives and sun dried tomatoes. Mmm.


Simon from The Heart of Food had slow cooked pork with bourbon sauce. Mmm that tangy sauce. *salivates* I feel so greedy for admitting this, but I actually took home leftovers! Sandwiches here I come!


The girls from Sugarlace even dressed up!! How pretty is that?



And Billy was nicely modeling the handbag that they brought!! lollllll.


And after all the eating, it's time for the prize giving, with the three judges!

From left, Karen, Billy and Sarah.

And of course, the poor pinata that had to die. He had a dinner voucher that Sexyninjamonkey won.


And the best dish of the picnic, and winner of the Kitchen Aid is......

Anita from noredmeat!!!! Her thai fish cakes were DA BOMB. They also happened to disappear in seconds.


She also made this caramel slice with popping candy that she didn't bring out earlier because she thought that they weren't "Kitchen Aid worthy". As if! These were really yummy too, and I have two sitting in my fridge for tomorrow. =)


It was such a good day. Great weather (for me, I love cold weather), great food, and best of all, great company. =) And I do so love a themed party.


A big thanks to Billy, Karen and Nuffnang for organizing it all, and for the lovely prizes that were there to be won!! =)

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

At October 10, 2010 at 1:29 AM , Anonymous Jacq said...

your hat was so cool! you must've put in so much effort to make it :) awesome stuff!

 
At October 10, 2010 at 11:05 AM , Anonymous Simon @ the heart of food said...

Huge points for effort on both your tiramisu display and your gaga hat! The prize was well deserved.

Enjoy the left overs :)

 
At October 10, 2010 at 4:56 PM , Blogger Anna said...

Yay! Wasn't it a blast?!

Your hat and your teacups were superb - well done!

Lovely to connect with lovely bloggers such as yourself, and hope to keep in touch x

 
At October 10, 2010 at 6:42 PM , Blogger Cate said...

Wow what a great day - sure sorry I missed it - too busy making cupcakes for my friend's wedding!!! Next year for sure.

Way to go Tammi with that hat!!!!

 
At October 10, 2010 at 8:09 PM , Anonymous Julie said...

Hello tammi!
Grats on the win! Awesome hat by the way is it still okay? lol

 
At October 10, 2010 at 11:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Jacq: hey!! haha, thank you for the compliment. Now to try the lobster hat that Billy suggested!

Simon: The leftovers are all gone! Sean swiped them for lunch at work. =( Still a little sauce left though!! hehe

Anna: Thank you!And yes it was an absolute blast. It was so lovely meeting you too!

Cate: The wedding cake looked absolutely awesome!! Great effort. The couple looked really happy with the cake too! Did you have a good time at the beach?

Julie: Hey! Thank you :) Congrats to you on winning with your pork buns. They were all swiped before I could get a picture! The hat's still broken haha, but nothing that can't be fixed. Easy to put together, easy to break I suppose. How was the rest of your weekend?

 
At October 11, 2010 at 9:47 AM , Blogger Corrie said...

wow makes me want to go and become a food blogger! what great food, that spread looks amazing :)

corrie:)

 
At October 11, 2010 at 4:58 PM , Anonymous Celeste @ Berrytravels said...

Your hat is freaking awesome!

Glad to hear the event was a blast. I'm still marvelling over your hat!

 
At October 11, 2010 at 11:23 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Corrie: That spread was amazing! I still get hungry thinking about it. Your children are absolutely beautiful by the way! Good luck with the new one. =)

Celeste: haha thanks! I was quite happy that it turned out and that I didn't have to get too many materials for it. =) Now I want to make more!! haha. I should just end up being a craft blogger. lol.

 
At October 11, 2010 at 11:48 PM , Anonymous Gianna@TheEmptyFridge said...

hey tammi! i can honestly say that im still dreaming about your tiramisu teacups..they were amazing!

so nice to be able to hang out with you, fellow crazy hat friend :)
I cant wait to read about your cheese making classes, keep in touch hun xx

 
At October 12, 2010 at 3:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post but I think you also should've mentioned Karen of Citrus and Candy in your post too seeing as she was also one of the organisers and the judges.

 
At October 12, 2010 at 10:03 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Gianna: Thank you, and it was great to hang out with you too! =) So sad that you had to give your hat back hey.

Anon: Thank you for the reminder! The changes have been made. =)

 
At October 12, 2010 at 10:17 AM , Blogger fluffy said...

Hey Tammi, nice meeting you on the picnic! Amazing hat by the way, I hope they are ok now :/ And omg I was ooh and ahh-ing your tiramisu in the choc cups, they were yum :D

 
At October 13, 2010 at 2:24 PM , Blogger Karen | Citrus and Candy said...

Your hat was awesome! I hope you fixed it because it deserves another public showing. Thank you so much for coming out and for your dessert :D

 
At October 13, 2010 at 10:33 PM , Anonymous Iron Chef Shellie said...

I love the idea of your tea-ramisu! Will have to try it!

 
At October 14, 2010 at 11:09 AM , Blogger Rosa said...

Can't get over your Tea-ramisu! How did you make the chocolate cups again? mmmm.....

 
At October 15, 2010 at 11:48 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

fluffy: Thank you! =)

Karen: Hey! Thank you for organizing it with Billy! Nah, the hat is dead, and may it forever rest in peace. I've got plans for another one for the next dress up food blogger's meeting. hehe. ;)

Iron Chef Shellie: Thanks! How was the Melbourne meetup? The photos look like you've had an awesome time! Omg a lamb roast!

Rosa: =) I used sterilized balloons dipped in chocolate, then piped out the handles separately.

 
At October 21, 2010 at 10:18 PM , Anonymous Trisha said...

Pppppokerface ppppokerface! That's what I think about when I remember your "hat". It was awesome!!!!

 
At December 8, 2010 at 7:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the inspiration! You've inspired me to take on another variety of tea-ramisu (I love that monicker!). Red bean and green tea. It's green tea-soaked savoiardi and red bean paste blended in with the mascarpone. I'd love to link back to this post when I blog on it, if you don't mind. :D
-jer

 
At December 8, 2010 at 7:55 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Paperplateandplane: HEY!! =) Yeah sure run with it. I am definitely an advocate of ideas built on ideas. I'm much more impressed with yours actually, I never thought that you could do green tea tea-ramisu! =)

Your blog inspires me too. My next project will be those food bouquets. LOVE THEM. =)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home